Status report time!

What did you do this week?

This week I worked to make sure actions behaved more like trunk. This involved fixing some blendin and yet more continuous problems. I’ve also added an option so users can choose whether or not they want to lock the animation updates to the animation framerate:

Adding an option to let users choose whether or not to lock animation updates to the framerate. If this option is enabled, animations are only updated at the same speed as the animation framerate. This can give a significant speed up in performance, but at the cost of smoothness in animations. I’m defaulting this behavior to off for now, which is the behavior seen in trunk.

Also, when the user does choose to restrict the update calls, the framerate should now do a better job of matching the user selected framerate:

Animation updates are now handled separately from logic/physics updates. This allows the animations to be updated at the full fps specified by the user. Before, updates were not happening frequently enough. For example, a 30fps animation may only update at 20~30fps, which would cause some noticeable lag. This my not be the best solution since at this point we may be dropping frames (not being in the while(frames) loop), and we’re not updating as often as the physics engine might want for bone parented physics objects.

If the user doesn’t choose the new restrict animation updates option, then the animation updates are still done with the logic/physics updates (the option was created after this commit).

On Wednesday, Dalai and I decided it was probably best to drop the bone physics. This was “extra” anyways, and I was spending a lot of time trying to get the position of the physics shapes right. So, I’ve been focusing on fixing compatibility issues instead. For anyone interested in the work I had done for bone physics can find a patch here (warning: I did not bother to cleanup the patch).

What do you plan to do next week?
Next week I’ll continue to work on reported user issues (there are still some issues with blendin). Also, it’s come to my attention that lamp, world, material and camera IPOs probably are not working correctly, so I’ll look into making sure those are still working. I’ll also write some docs such as a migration guide.

Are there any problems that will require extra attention and what impact will they have on your proposed schedule?

There are currently no problems.

Are there any builds available?

One of the nice things about working with others in the same branch is that there is more interest for that branch, and you can find plenty of Pepper builds on Graphicall.

Thank you to everyone providing builds!